Cervical and Upper Extremity - Orthopedic Assessment and Treatment- Victoria
To Sunday 26 May 2019 - 05:30pm
Instructor: Mike Dixon RMT
Instructional time: 14.5 hours
Duration: 2 days
Instructor/student ratio: 20 to one
Course booklet/Notes will be provided
Time distribution Practical vs. lecture: 70/30 percent
This course was designed to give the participants an excellent understanding and review of orthopedic assessments and treatment protocols for the Cervical spine and upper extremity region. Review of Anatomy, kinesiology and common musculoskeletal conditions will be presented and reviewed.
Cervical spine and upper extremity dysfunctions are commonly seen by massage therapist and often some of the most difficult conditions to affect positive outcomes. For example ever wondered how you could effectively treat cervical spinal stenosis, thoracic outlet syndrome, medial, lateral epicondylitis and carpal tunnel syndrome? Treatment techniques for these dysfunctions will be taught and explored with the group. Treatment techniques such as, joint play mobilizations (glides), tractions, nerve stretches/glides, end-range loading, muscle energy, contractile myofascial release, direct and indirect long and short lever mobilizations and proper use of a treatment/mobilization belt will be demonstrated and discussed.
The course will be held over 2 days with 14.5 hours of instructional classroom time. The participants will have adequate time to practice the techniques demonstrated.
- Participants to please bring: Sheets, and comfortable clothing.
- Instructor to provide, course notes, certificates, and mobilization belts
Course Outline and Objectives:
By the end of the course the participant should be able to/develop …
- Discuss the anatomy and kinesiology of the Cervical spine, upper extremity and contraindications for various techniques.
- Perform an orthopedic assessment and special tests for the shoulder, elbow, wrist and hand.
- Perform joint mobilization techniques on the shoulder, elbow, wrist and hand.
- Perform traction mobilizations to the joints of the upper extremities.
- Perform nerve mobilization for the Ulnar, Median and Radial nerves.
- Perform contractile myofascial release (ART) and muscle testing to the muscles of the rotator cuff.
- Perform dynamic stretching techniques for the muscles of the upper extremities.
- Perform end-range loading techniques for the nerves, muscle, ligaments, Fascia and bones to the upper extremities and Cervical spine
- Perform stretching techniques for the muscles of the forearms.
- Perform stretching and End Range Loading techniques on the compartments of the forearm. (anterior, posterior)
- Critical thinking skills used in case study management of musculoskeletal conditions of the cervical spine and upper extremities (case studies)
Note: When ever possible, patients/clients/therapists with real conditions will be treated in the demonstrations.
Late cancellation subject to administration fee of $100. No refunds less than 24 hours prior to the course.